What am I Reading these Days?

Loads of student papers (essays and fiction pieces)--they keep flooding. Yet, my hunger for some leisure reading is insatiable too, so these are the books I carry around these days, hoping that maybe over lunch I may read several pages:

Philip Caputo: Crossers (I actually finished this one and reviewed it for the Sacramento/San Francisco Book Review),
Ha Jin: A Good Fall, which will be available in bookstores in December.
Lucy Howard-Taylor: Biting Anorexia (reviewing it for Sac Book Review)
Wil Wheaton: The Happiest Days of Our Lives (coming out in December); reviewing it for Sac Book Review
William Styron: The Suicide Run, a collection of short stories. I love the serpentine wriggle of the sentences in these stories; Styron knew his way in the jungle of language; remember Sophie's Choice?

I probably owe the poetry world ten to fifteen reviews, but nowadays I carry around A Tiara for the Twentieth Century by Suzanne R Harvey.

These are the new things out there, and there are more that I hunger for: Kazuo Ishiguro's new short story collection, Margaret Atwood's new novel, A.S. Byatt's Children's Book and many others.

Of the old publications, I keep within reach copies of Say You're One of Them (Akpan), Housekeeping (Robinson), Unaccustomed Earth (Lahiri), Cathedral (Carver), African Stories (Lessing). Just in case I get bored somewhere, or that I may end up getting some spare time, I may sneak in a short story or two. Reading, it's a lot of fun, I tell you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)