The Crowning of Bob Stanley as Sacramento Poet Laureate

The event was inspiring. I read a Dambudzo Marechera poem first, followed by mine. Then I got to introduce other performers. Well-attended event. For those who may not know the full story, Bob is the newly-installed Sacramento Poet Laureate, who is also the president of the Sacramento Poetry Board, which I am part of.

Actually, it was Bob who introduced me to the Sacramento poetry commmunity since I had lived in the city for ten years without participating in poetry events. We were colleagues at Sacramento City College, and one day we started talking and I mentioned something to the effect that I scribbled poetry ( I was seriously putting together my collection), then he told me about the Sacramento Poetry Center, invited me to attend an event. I soon realized I had found an artistic home.

More details about the event have been covered by Kate Asche on her blog.

Comments

John Bowman, Roseville said…
It was indeed an inspiring event and Bob Stanley, who wore an actual wreath as he read poetry and accepted this honor, also exhibited his good sense of rhythm by reciting/singing a Beat sort of poem. Congratulations to Sacramento (Mayor Kevin Johnson was there) and SMAC for honoring poetry in such an elegant and fun way.

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla