Interview with Terry a O'Neal, Sacramento Writer & Poet

Wealth of Ideas is featuring author interviews in May and June. I will talk with poets, writers, and scholars on a wide range of literary issues.

Terry a O'Neal

The first interview features Sacramento author and poet Terry a O'Neal, who is going to be the guest speaker in my Diop Scholars English class at CRC. The class is at 10:30 am on Tuesday, May 5. This will be Terry's second appearance at CRC, after her Black History Month reading on February 16. I have also hosted her reading at the Sacramento Poetry Center, where she treated us to an evening of inspiring and enlightening poetry. Now she is coming to talk with the Diop Scholars about her novel, Sweet Lavender, which the class uses as a set-book.

In this interview Terry a O'Neal talks about her writing, poetry, film, and other projects.

Congratulations on the success of the Black History Bee. Could you please explain what prompted you to start this project and what your future plans are for it?

It is important that all races have an understanding of African American history and the marvelous contributions that African Americans and people of African descent have given to society, and to the world. In order to shape the present, it’s important that we recognize and understand the past. I notice that many young people today lack knowledge, pride, unity and will-power. The goal of the Black History Bee is to educate and motivate today’s youth to accomplish great things in life, and to carry on the legacy that has been passed down over generations to ensure that the justice that Blacks fought and died for and all the accomplishments Blacks have had don’t get buried and left in the past. It is important for young people to understand that we wouldn’t have the luxuries that we are blessed with today—to live in nice houses; go to integrated schools; and to eat at fine restaurants without the sacrifices these people made. There would be no Black doctors, lawyers, or even a black president had it not been for the blood shed, tears, and struggle endured by our ancestors.

The ultimate goal for the Black History Bee is to travel to various schools throughout the United States to reach as many young people within our power.

In addition to being a poet and a writer, you are also involved in the making of documentaries. What are you working on currently in the area of documentary?

Presently, I am working on a documentary project called Hope of Finding a Son: The Maurice Red Jefferson Story, that tells the accounts of a 16-year-old boy who disappeared from the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida community while on his way to basketball practice one Monday afternoon. On the day of November 28, 1983, Maurice Jefferson simply vanished and was never seen or heard from again. My goal of this documentary is to generate some answers as to his whereabouts and discover missing pieces to his case. Whether he’s dead or alive, his family longs to know so that they can have closure.



At the two poetry readings I have hosted, you pointed out that discouragement from an English teacher turned you into a writer. Could you please give more details on this? What do you think is the role of teachers in an aspiring writer’s life?

The power that a teacher or role model holds in inspiring minds is great. As a child, I was always rebellious—a goal getter and a dream chaser. I took chances, even if it meant that there was a belt strap waiting for me when I stepped foot in the front door. Not all of the roads I’ve traveled lead me in the right direction. I’ve been down some dark and scary paths in my time but from this I’ve grown stronger and wiser. Through trial and error, we are meant to learn, grow, and get back on track to continue on our journey through life.

Over my life I have been inspired by many people in various ways. My high school counselor, my elders, and even some of my teachers contributed to the molding of the woman I have become—the good and bad alike.

While I was enrolled in an English course at CRC, my English instructor graded one of my term papers. In this particular paper I was inspired to insert a poem—a technique that I had never used before. When I received my paper back, I immediately began to review his remarks. It was at this time that I noticed the notes he jotted down in red ink beside the poem. The remarks read: “Nice poem. If this is the work of another author, please state the author’s name and where you found it.” Though the comment was bitter-sweet for me, it was those words that actually inspired me to begin writing my first book of poetry.

Which was your first calling, poetry, fiction or film? Which one of these brings you closest to your creative urge?

Poetry is my first love—it’s my passion. As far back as elementary school, I remember writing lyrics and songs. At the age of 6 years old, I met Maya Angelou. She held a book signing at an African Gallery where my mother worked on the north side of town where I was born and raised. Poetry allows me be creative, to fantasize, and to dream. Through poetry I can play with words without fear of consequences. Poetry allows me to free my soul of burdens and chase my dreams.

Your poetry speaks to issues affecting African American people (The Poet Speaks in Black), but you also deal with concerns affecting all humans. What do you think is your role as a poet in society?

My role as a poet in society is to inspire others, while at the same time, enlightening them to the troubles, the issues, and the goodness that life brings knocking at our doors. My poetry allows me to relate to others who might be experiencing similar situations and encourage them—give them comfort in knowing that they are not alone in the world. At one point or another, every one of us will find ourselves in a situation that seems unbearable. My desire is that my words will spark a flame of hope in the hearts of others that will give them the motivation they need to smile in their time of sadness; to have faith in their time of trouble; to stand in their weakest hour; and afterwards, once they’ve made it through the storm, to pass on that ray hope to the next person.


What inspired your novel, Sweet Lavender? How far along are the plans for the movie adaptation of the novel?

Sweet Lavender was inspired by my love for father-daughter stories and my fondness for the southern lifestyle. The setting takes place in Cecilia, Louisiana, not far from where my mother was raised. I’m a country girl at heart—I admire what folks call “southern hospitality”, a trait that’s difficult to find in California locals. I appreciate the environment—the sounds of nature; how the moss sways from the trees from a gentle breeze; the creatures resting in the swamps; and the laid back, slow pace lifestyle that the south portrays.

Sweet Lavender was adapted to a full-length feature screenplay in late 2007. It was edited by award-winning writer, producer, and director, Kenneth Rotcop. One of Rotcop’s most influential productions that he wrote and produced in 1983, was entitled “For Us, The Living: The Story of Medgar Evers” which features Laurence Fishburn.

In mid 2008, Sweet Lavender, the novel and the screenplay, was optioned by a Hollywood production company. As of today, they are still working with the script with hopes to have it produced sometime in the near future.

In the meantime, I am working towards adapting Sweet Lavender into a stage play for theatre. So far, I am only in the beginning stages of this project. I hope to have it completed by the end of 2009.

You also work with high school poet performers; how is this program going?

I am an activist of youth literacy and expression, striving to be a positive influence in the lives of young people. So many youth today are in dire need of a method of self expression. In my work with youth over the years, I have discovered that art, creativity, and poetry can be a powerful approach to instilling confidence, inspiring hope, and fostering dreams.
.
I am the editor of the youth poetry anthology Make Some Noise! a volume of poetry written by youth ages 12 to 18, from the United States and abroad. These young poets submit their poetry to be published in the anthology. Make Some Noise! has motivated many young people to face their fears, embrace constructive criticism, and persevere through adversity.

Who are your artistic influences?

When I think of my artistic influences, my mother is always the first person that comes to mind. She was a very talented and creative woman. She exposed us to arts, literature and culture at a very young age. In her spare time she was an artist, sketching beautiful still images. My mother wrote poetry and she taught her children about African and African American culture. I recall many days when my sisters and I would accompany her to work at the African Gallery. Some of the artifacts in the gallery I would use to share with classmates during show-and-tell. My mother had her own small garden in our backyard—rarely did we eat out. We always had home cooked meals. Most of our clothes, she made. She could sew anything from a wedding gown to drapes that hung from the windows. My mother did arts and crafts—making sachets, dolls, and flowered wreaths that adorned living room walls of family and friends. She taught me and my sisters how to cook and sew. It was my mother who first taught us our ABC’s and 123’s, and how to write our name. She was a phenomenal woman.

I draw artistic influence from some of my favorite 19th and 20th century black poets and writers. Langston Hughes whose character I most admire. His style of poetry is unique, powerful, and thought provoking; yet not so complex that the average person could not comprehend. Much of his writing has crossed over the generation gap and is as relevant and inspirational today as it was fifty years ago.

Other influences include Gwendolyn Brooks, Maya Angelou, Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Carolyn Rodgers, W.E.B. Du Bois, and Claude McKay.

What projects are you working on currently?

My line of projects is never ending. “In a World of My Own”, a memoir of my teenage encounters is still in the works. Another volume of poetry “If is a Crooked Word and G Can’t Straighten It”, is due to be released by the end of the year. “Grace and The Fig Tree”, a reader for middle-aged school children, is complete and in the editing process. The first volume should be released by the end of the year as well.

As I mentioned earlier, I’m working on the adaptation of Sweet Lavender into a stage play. In addition, I wish to complete another full length feature screenplay entitled Sisterhood Chronicles, which is currently in the editing process.

Furthermore, I would like to become more active in the cultivation of my non-profit organization Lend Your Hand, Educating the World’s Children, by raising more funds and networking with other foundations to reach a broader range of disadvantaged youth.

What’s your advice to younger writers?

“Carry out your literary dream, no matter how unlikely it may seem.” Becoming a literary success takes time and nurturing. Rarely does it happen overnight. Stay true to your dreams; don’t be afraid to alter (edit) your work; and use constructive criticism to help you grow. Keep in mind that everyone is not going to praise your writing—some will not like it at all. Let negativity roll off your back and you just keep on steppin’.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion—some may be kind, others may be cruel. Some readers are passionate about poetry though many may despise it. Some people worship fantasy and love stories, whereas others prefer the thriller or science fiction genre. It’s all a matter of preference. Don’t be offended when readers or critics don’t show interest in your writing. There are some audiences that we are not meant to reach.

Many doors will close in your face but remember this…where one door closes, another will open. If you are passionate about writing and you aspire to be a published author, you will succeed.

[An expanded conversation with Terry O'Neal will appear on Munyori Literary Journal]


The next interview will feaure Jennifer Armstrong, the Australia-based Zimbabwean author of the memoir Minus the Morning. Armstrong is one of the presenters at the 2009 Dambudzo Marechera Conference at Oxford University.

Comments

CathM said…
Interesting and in-depth interview.

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla