The Pitfalls of POD & Self-Publishing

At a time when mainstream publishers are cutting costs, laying off editors and lowering the number of new books they publish, many beginning writers are turning to self-publishing. And this makes sense. In a time of difficulties, art has a way of flourishing, defying any constraints.In fact, hard times seem to inspire heightened creativity. But more work needs to be put in ensuring the production of good-quality works. Yes, this expectation is legitimate; the expectation of quality in art, especially if we expect readers to pay for our art and enjoy it.

POD publishing companies are seeing rising profits. Lulu, Authorhouse, iuniverse and others are busy helping writers fulfill their dreams or nightmares. Lulu CEO claimed at the beginning of the year that Lulu has contributed to the highest number of books of bad poetry in the history of mankind, and he was right. It wouldn't be surprising to learn that those remarks may even have led to an upsurge in profits; desperate writers sometimes are like flies drawn to those deadly pit latrines, with the exception that the latrines are not deadly.

I tend to read anything I can lay my hands on. As a book reviewer, I receive a lot of copies of new poetry collections, some of which are self-published. As much as I would love to do a good job of reviewing such books, I find errors too distracting to inspire good reviews. And if I know the writer, which is often the case, I will just find a way of not reviewing the book, as a way to keep the friendship going.

This publication of sub-standard books is happening in fiction and non-fiction as well. Some writers are too eager to see the work in print that they forget about readers. Books riddled with grammatical errors and other inconsistencies are a waste of the reader's time, effort and money.

There is nothing wrong with self-publishing, especially if you utilize good and affordable editing services. There are many retired English teachers out there who love the smell of manuscripts. Yes, you will spend a little money here and there, but the outcome is likely to be more impressive than if you just publish something because you can. And with the nature of POD publishing, yes WE can.

While not many readers may get to see your book, be nice to those family members and friends, who may actually read the copies you either give them or make them order online. They may not say anything about the nightmarish errors, but they will always remember, when you publish another book, that they wasted their money and time last time.

Self-publishers, step up the game. Take the writing seriously; conceive it, give birth to it, and nourish and nurture it with the kind of care you would give a baby. If you are not willing to put in this work, then learn some marketing, and scramble with others for the thinning publishing opportunities out there. Once in a while we get a Jhumba Lahiri, a Petina Gappah, a Brian Chikwava, a Chris Mlalazi--yes, there is room for such rare breakthroughs. When it comes to these things, think American Idol, or any of the other Idols where thousands compete for one spot.

And while you churn out great world novels to self-publish, remember to read other greats: Gabriel Garcia Marquez, William Faulkner, Toni Morrison, Chris Abani, Charles Mungoshi, John Updike, Norman Mailer. Read the dead ones; read the living ones. Read John Grisham if you have to; Steven King, Danielle Steele, and don't forget the Twilight series writer; there is a reason young adults love her. Read, read, read.

Read; then write. And wait. But if you can't wait, work. Work to make sure that the manuscript is up to par (yes, there is such a thing),to make sure that the book will give you credibility in this competitive world of publishing.

I just finished reading a very bad, self-published book and I haven't forgiven the writer yet.

Comments

A.H. said…
Ah, a lot of wisdom, but wisdom often flies out of the brain faster than words from the word-processor when it comes to "vanity" publishing.
NAVAL LANGA said…
The books 'on-line' have bright future, isn't it?

Naval Langa
HUDSON RIVER VALLEY PAINTINGS
Masibanda said…
Wise thoughts,Emmanuel, but I am yet to come across any book that has no typos,whether it has been published by the big mainstream publishing companies or not. I have read very good books written by people who self publish, and very bad books published by the main stream publishers.

I agree with you that it is worth investing in editing and proofreading,but to single out self-published books is what I don't agree with. In life people speak differently, some talk with a stutter, while others are very eloquent. We should expect the same in writing. When I buy a book, I don't read it to find out typos or grammatical mistakes,I read the story behind all that, the creativeness. Remember all those main stream publishers are also humans who can make errors. It's not everyday when we get picked by mainstream publishers. And to be published by a mainstream publisher does not mean you become rich overnight, or a book is going to be bought in millions, let alone typos free!!!!
@Esh: the rapid production of first drafts is encouraged, and there has got to be a stage when elements of craft come into play.

@Naval: the e-books are fast, cheaper, and easily accessible, but there will also be readers who don't mind the death of yet another tree, it seems.

@sarudzayi: you are already doing much to help beginning writers, and your concept, begun as self-publishing has moved beyond the raw form of self-publishing of throwing newly-produced, unedited material and call it a book, before any peer reviewing, proofreading and some form of reader scruitiny. I like what you did with the Village story-teller, giving the manuscipts to child readers and getting their approval stamp before proceeding. The kinds of self-publishing thats killing our reputations is one where the publisher will receive your manuscript and tell you it's a wonderful book without any degree of editing. See the hierarchy:

Self-publishing (with no editing): discouraged;

Self-publishing with professional editing, encouraged.

Publishing with a small press; excellent

Publishing with a Big Press: necessary for the what it makes possible, but not necessary the best if no attention is paid to the quality of the work.

Overall, there are exceptions to every rule.

Thanks everyone, for your comments.

NB: Many of my friends have self-published, but I know that they edit their work, or at least have it peer reviewed.
Jonathan Masere said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
This comment has been removed by the author.
My point in this post was to caution on the need for writers to spend time in revising their work. As an editor of several journals, I know why and how we reject some manuscripts. Often, most editors would stop reading once they see a first error, to move on to the next manuscript. How good a manuscript is will not solely depend on grammatical errors alone, but most editors will not invest time in error-riddled works if they there is a chance that they may find another in the pile. That's just part of what editors do.

I hope I have made my point by expressing a concern that every writer should have, that of taking our work more seriously. It's also a way of reminding myself to do the same.
Jonathan Masere said…
Emmanuel, your input is greatly appreciated. I am a very contented scientist and tend to engage in non-technical writing for fun. However, it helps to have someone like you offer unambiguously constructive criticism to help amateur writers like me. It would be very helpful were you to frequently write reviews of the good, the bad and the ugly books you read.

Now, about that bad book; it would have been wonderful had you named the book. If I were you, your professorial schedule permitting it, I would write and post a review of the “bad” book.
Thanks, Jon. You make a good point about sharing the specifics of the book; I prefer giving advice to works as they develop, only if the writers were not in a hurry to have the book published "within hours".

The point of the post, however, was to raise awareness on someting I have observed from an editorial perspective. I like the promise in self-publishing, this ability to produce our books at no cost, in most cases, but while we do that, let's share with the world our best work.
Jonathan Masere said…
You remind me of my time in graduate school. Everyone in my graduate research group had to write manuscripts for publishing in peer-reviewed journals. The principle was based on the fact that work deemed worthy of publishing in journals of international repute would never be rejected by members of the Ph.D. committee. Work approved by experts in the field cannot be easily dismissed by committee members less conversant in the subject matter than the peer reviewers.

For that reason, among many others, my advisor in graduate school was a stickler for writing with care. The man could easily pick up improper spacing between words and sentences at a glance. He would say something like; "If I can spot this sloppy mistake without even reading the whole manuscript, there are worse mistakes in there. Take it back and don't bring it back with silly mistakes. I want to focus on the science instead of your grammar!"

At the time, it sounded mean but, looking back, I have become like him. I realize I was actually being trained. Not everyone has been as lucky and I am very thankful for that. Do I still make mistakes when I write? You bet I do and, trust me, I get irritated and greatly embarrassed every time I come across my own mistakes.

Lastly, I implore you, as an editor, to write a book of things to do and not to do when writing. It does not have to be a hefty book. A pocket-sized booklet will do. It would be very helpful.
I'm already working with a team that includes my former graduate advisor, on a book on writing. But as you suggested, a the idea of a pocket-size, targeted guidebook is worth exploring. For practical advice on making our manuscripts easily noticeable, I recommend The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman, a former editor and now the owner of a successful literary agency. He is an honest writer who gives great advice.

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla