Elizabeth Alexander's Inauguration Poem

Seconds after the inauguration reading there were responses to it online. The poetry community is talking; it's poetry's happy hour in the United States. While I can offer not critique or feedback on the peformance yet, I can already see a things I line in the transcript I have in front of me. First, the poem is entitled "Praise Song for the Day".... Surely, America has reason to sing and to praise for this historic moment. I like the connection with the role of poetry as it's traditionally known in my African (and Obama's)heritage-- praise of leaders and ancestry: "Sing the names of the dead who brought us here/who laid the train tracks/raised the bridges, picked the cotton & the lettuce."

Elizabeth Alexander is the fourth poet in the history of the United States to read at an inauguration of a president. This event helps not only her career as a poet but also the appreciation of poetry as an artform.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry Manu, this poem makes everyone suspicious of poetry, because it was a poor poem delivered badly. Maya Angelou, now that was something. Chakanaka chakanaka mukaka haurungwi. That poem was an embaarssment to the world of poetry.

E
Now that's a harsh critique, but I see your point. The delivery especially, as one could tell through the audience's body language, etc, was not effective, but the poem on paper has qualities that add up to a simple, but distinct poem.

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)