"Something Like a Poem" by Dan Gerber

Something Like a Poem
Good Times Santa Cruz - Sunday, 28 October 2007


In his essay, Gerber grips the reader's attention by exposing the feeling of an artist towards the art. One question that I am always asked as a poet is what my poetry is about, and like many poets before me, I do not have straight forward answer that pretends to know what my poetry is about. My poetry is like a discovery process, and I hope that the reader will discover the meaning just as I would as I read the poem after its production. And this is serious. I know I can control the craft of the poem, tweak lines, rhythm and other stylistic features, but I will let the poem clear its own ground. Sometimes the process is not about clearing ground at all, but maybe about forestation or a process I am beginning to understand as some form of "covering" or "layering". Often, when I write a poem about certain themes,I prefer the "covering/layering". I find some of the themes intrusive even to the poem, so there is usually a veer and serve of the poetic lines as they avoid the inevitable collision with thematic content that befits covering/layering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)