Reading "The Committed", "They Called You Dambudzo," and "Out of the Dark Night"



These are two books I plan to review in March. I already finished reading They Called You Dambudzo, by Flora Veit-Wild, the much anticipated memoir that started with a 2012 essay. 

The Committed is by Viet Thanh Nguyen. It will be published on March 2nd, so hopefully I will be able to finish reading it by the end of the launch week.  

Viet Thanh Nguyen is the Vietnamese author of The Refugees and The Sympathizer, books I own but have not had a chance to read. So The Committed will be my true entry into his work. I know he is an important writer. 

I also just received Out of the Dark Night: Essays on Decolonization by Achille Mbembe (2021). This will my introduction to his work. I hear he is a big deal in African Literature circles, perhaps even in postcolonial theory (and cultural studies?). I will also share my thoughts on this one, but they will be non-academic, personal ruminations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla