Kelly Freeman, Kara Synhorst, David Iribarne SPC Appearance



Presents
Kelly Freeman, Kara Synhorst, David Iribarne
Monday, Jan. 14 at 7:30 PM
1719 25th Street

Host: Emmanuel Sigauke




Kelly Freeman is a Los Angeles native who began writing poetry at the age of 12. Her father was a poet and encouraged her to write and bought her first journal. She started performing on stage here in Sacramento ten years ago. She has also performed in Los Angeles, and the bay area. Kelly has been a featured artist at the Luna’s, The Guild Theater, Mahogany poetry series, Brown Sugar series, and the touring erotica show "The sweet spot". She was recently featured at the Shine cafe and Pepperbellys and looks forward to performing more in the future. She is currently writing a book, but has put printing on hold so that she can add some of the works of her father whom she recently lost. It has always been her dream to share his poetry with the world.
The Elements of Love

Tonight we make fire

With friction


Water

with sweat

Air

with panting


And heaven

on Earth


Kara Synhorst is a lifelong Sacramentan who has never lived more than seven miles from her childhood home. She got her B.A., teaching credential, and M.F.A. from CSU Sacramento and now teaches English at Luther Burbank High. She lives with her husband Reza and daughter Azadeh and two ornery cats. Her poems have appeared in Poetry Now, Convergence, The Found Poetry Review, unFold, and Susurrus.      
Pie

I hope you don't mind

pie again.

I'm trying to perfect

my crust,

because I don't know

what on Earth

I'm going to do

without my mother.



David Iribarne earned a Bachelor of Arts in English from CSUS. He currently resides in Sacramento. He works in social services. He has had several poems published in Poetry Now, Sussurus, Catchword, Medusa’s Kitchen, Primal Urge, WTF?! and won second prize in Sacramento News & Review’s student poetry contest in 2005. He also has a piece published in SPC’s Sacramento Anthology, Late Peaches. He has written one poetry book entitled Bones. Skin, and Soul and two chapbooks entitled Soul of Love and Silent Screams. He also has a compilation of short stories available entitled Taking Time To Breathe. He is currently working on a poetry book that will be released in 2013.



Dark Embellishment

Mother make it all stop

Please make the shrieks, the screams vanish

make peace present in my life.


Allow me to remember without wanting to stop

carry me through the rough spots

anchor me to the good times

let me mull there for a while

without stumbling so quickly to the rocks and cracks.


Tell me a story about when he tightly would hold me

making me feel loved

where he sang to me with love

and the words were his own.


Is there a time he comforted me?

A time he made me fall asleep in his arms?

When my heart did not skip a beat

when I heard him creek into the house?


Mother, make it all stop

even if you have to continue to lie.


http://www.sacramentopoetrycenter.com/kelly-freeman-kara-synhorst-david-iribarne/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla