Poetry Calling

I feel like returing to poetry. By this I don't mean I am planning to leave fiction, but that I must concentrate on writing and reading poetry. I doubt though that I ever left poetry. I host poetry events at the Sacramento Poetry Center every second Monday, and I attend poetry events at other venues. I am always in the company of poets, and I read poetry every so often. But still, I feel like returning to poetry. Perhaps I mean this in the sense of turning on my poetic voice, so that I can resume writing poetry. That's what it must be, because in the last year or so, I have been focusing my writing on short fiction (Well, I tend not to mention that I am working on long ficton, an novel here, another there, but like Raymond Carver, Flannery O'Connor, or Dambudzo Marechera, in reverse order, I sometimes have no patience for very long, sustained stories, thus my longest novel manuscript (which I began in 1999) has too many stories struggling to become long stories each in its own right).

After publishing my poetry collection, I subsequently started preparing two other collections, each with eighty poems or so; then something happened: the short story became very popular again, and there were all these cool writers winning Pulitzers, Guardians, Faulkners, Frank/Flannery O'Connors (not that this was new, but talk about short fiction was everywhere; I started to teach short fiction too, and before long, I began to discovered the form, commitmenting to reading short stories exclusively for months. A famous blogger introduced the short story month, and I blogged about that; then I started to publish my own stories, and one of the stories paid a check bigger than my poetry collection, but I truly began to enjoy writing, and especially reading the short story).

I am returning to poetry. I will revisit the collections I was working on at the end of 2008. And I will continue attending poetry events, and hopefully inventing some; I will start sending poetry submissions (oh, that's what I had stopped doing--submitting poetry), and learning more about the market of poetry. But I will rediscover what I now miss about poety: the magic of its language, the beauty of the deletion key as I edit the lines into pure song, then as the process refines, as I reach the point of expression that uses language as if it has ceased to exist, as if what I am now using is something above language, and if above and beyond our physical bodies exists souls, beyond language, poetry must then demand the soul of words....

In short, I will be diversifying my creative efforts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)