Busy Blog

Watch this space...I will be discussing the books I have read, and will be interviewing authors of all stripes (those I can get in touch with, of course). Now that I have posted a draft of my 'memorable moments' in "This September Sun", I am moving on to LOL moments in Chris Mlalazi's "Dancing With Life" (I will call them memorable moments too, for ryhthm). I could easily have made them LOL moments, because Mlalazi will capture the sad drama of life and make you laugh...laugh so hard you might titter on the other extreme of laughter. I come to Mlalazi's work with a great appetite; he captures my Bulawayo. You see, I lived in Harare most of the early 90s, but I always visited Bulawayo, at one time interviewing for admission to Hillside Teacher's College, and then later on visiting people I knew, then later coordinating budding writers' business. The place fascinated me, etc, so I might say Mlalazi's stories reach that nostalgic nerve in me, and increasingly, that's becoming true of any Zimbabwean work that I read...the way I begin to look for hints of the familiar...

After "Dancing with Life", I will review, in this order, "Rolling the Bones" by Christopher Buckley and "When it Happens to You" by Alice Teeter. I got these books for free from the authors, and it just serves my conscience well to review them, besides the fact that they are great works of art, and that it is my job to review them...you get the point. The two reviews will be published by "Poetry Now" (at which point they will become unavailable on this blog).

After that, I will try to review the fifteen or so other poetry volumes in my possession. That's going to be a lot of poetry reading, welcome here because things are getting a bit poetic again on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla