Discovering Lawrence and Faulkner in Highfield, Harare

I was exposed to D.H. Lawrence in Highfield, Harare, as my first setbook for A-Level. My US-educated teacher described Lawrence as "a bore", preferred William Faulkner instead, and later, after re-reading The Sound and Fury and discovering more of Quentin Compson in Absalom, Absalom, I would discover why. My teacher's attitude made me curious about Lawrence, so I went on to enjoy the "boring" [The] Lost Girl, temporarily despised The Sound and the Fury, which took me longer to master because, first the flavour of American English was new to me. I was trying still struggling with accepting "color" as a correct spelling of 'colour', and the Southern verisimilitude Faulkner presented in his characters' dialogue did not help matters either.

I fell in love with the works of Lawrence, made this known to my teacher, read more of his works, including his moral and love philosophy, anything I could find at the British Council Library on those Saturdays my family wondered where I was. But all the Lawrence I read then, in retrospect, was just a scratching on the surface, but I definitely like the fact that I enjoyed the works when my highly educated teacher found them boring.

Later, I forgot all about Lawrence, fell in love with Faulkner, dug deeper even, discovered Melville, Hawthorne, Poe. On rereading The Sound and the Fury, I realized that my teacher had been right, The Lost Girl was boring, but Lawrence secretly remained a favourite, especially after I discovered, a few years ago, that he was a poet, and that half of his poetry in the collection I own were written in the United States, where he had been instrumental in helping Europe recognize that America had its own Classical Literature.

Now re-reading Lawrence, I am going to the very beginning. I am seeking his short fiction to trace his works from a writer's point of view, to read him, as Francine Prose would say, as a writer, and discover his creative journey. I am already quite comfortable with Faulkner's process, now it's time to discover where the author of Lady Chatterly's Lover originated, to be able to say again that "Lawrence is not boring."

I aways say most of the authors I call my favorites were teacher-recommended. Those passing comments teachers make on books can easily have an influence on their students, if not now, then maybe twenty years later. Therefore, in my own teaching, I always share the titles I am reading, both the interesting and the boring, always aware that my ratings are subjective and are likely to change, that what I pass as boring may be received as interesting, and what I praise may be despised. The important thing is, as the praising and disparaging happens, some reading is happening, whether it's pre- or post-reading, or the process itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)