Fiction Word Limits

Since I haven't blogged for a while, let me mention something about meeting word limits when submitting fiction. I have discovered that I am not eligible to enter many short story competitions because my short stories lurk in the 8000+ word heights, something I love because there are moments when I just keep writing until the story exhausts itself, but I am never afraid to delete unnecessary details later. I can easily trim a 7000-word story down to 3000 or 4000, and the process usually feels good, but now I am thinking that if one is in the short story market, one should write stories that fit in different length categories.

Keep a folder of stories in different word ranges: 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4-5000 (the sweetest range), 6000, and so on. When the season for contest entries arrives, you could just go to these different folders to select and spruce up a story for a specific contest. I am assuming that every writer realizes that contests are a great way to stay active in the genre with works in progress or different states of completion.

Comments

Myne said…
Indeed. I write long stories too.

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)