A Little Fat in the Fiction is Healthy

Specific details are important in story writing. This sounds obvious, which is why I have to talk about it now.

I am usually attuned to conciseness, sometimes only concerned with telling the key details of a story, avoiding saturating the text with the obvious. But, working through my Mukoma manuscript, a collection of connected short stories, which I should not be talking about because I am still working on it, I have noticed that I am happier with drafts that are generous with details. The stuff of life in Mazvihwa, in Harare, in Gweru.

I even find myself describing "these people", the people in the world of my characters. I am aware that these are details which will not sound obvious to a lot of my readers, including those who know the context and setting of my stories. The stories are informed by my experiences, and when I share them, I have to give sufficient details for my readers.

It feels great to add a little fat to the fiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)