Winter Break Reads: Tom Piazza, Kate Kitamura, George Fletcher, Tom Rachman, Amy King & More

Out of the pile of new books requiring my attention (fifteen or so), I have selected the following for my two-week winter break:

The Bond by George Fletcher: Written by renowned Columbia University Law professor, The Bond has been described as "a must-read for all pre-law students, law students, and those who care to know about the law and how it works." It reveals the "inner workings of the law and American law school." I think I will read this one pronto.

City of Refuge by Tom Piazza. Described by the Chicago Tribune as "as a furious, important novel", it deals with the Katrina Hurricane tragedy. Award-winning Tom Piazza is the author of the classic Why New Orleans Matters, and the short story collection Blues and Trouble.

The Long Shot by Katie Kitamura: Booklist has said of this book, "Kitamura's descriptions of mixed-martial-arts fighting are brutal yet beautiful...Kitamura is a genuine discovery." I haven't checked if this is her debut work, but she is described as a fierce new author, which gets my attention.

The Impressionists by Tom Rachman: The book comes out on April 6, 2010, and it's a novel (as are the three above). I mention this because I am trying to see the direction my reading in 2010 will take; 2009 was my short story year. Maybe 2010 may turn out to be the novel year (pan intended). But wait, yesterday I was telling someone that I want to catch up on my reading of poetry, and I was reading Amy King's latest, which I list below. Back to The Imperfectionists: It is "a brilliant debut novel that follows the lives of journalists at a struggling international newspaper, as the era of print news teeters on the edge." It's set in Rome...etc(I can't review it here). I like the encouraging words by the publisher: "Witty, stirring, and highly original, The Imperfectionists will establish Tom Rachman as one of our sharpest literary talents."

Slaves Do these Things by Amy King: Of this new poetry collection, Tomaž Šalamun writes, "Readers of this book will discover their own memories. They will melt in them, amazed, lullabied, dramatized, shocked that they exist. Amy King is a true bard." I have always known that Amy King is an important poet, not because we belong to the same online poetry discussion group, but because she simply is one of the most hard-working poets I know. I look forward to saying important things about her book, which I started reading yesterday, but I will start thinking about saying these things on my third reading of the poems: they do great things with words.

I was going to stop here, but let me add another one. Why not?

Hearts of the City by Herbert Muschamp: Fascinating book because it's non-fiction and it is a collection of the best critcal work by the late writer, with memorable essays on architecture. I need to widen my reading horizons, and this is a perfect way to start realizing this resolution.

While on the subject of diversifying the reading experience, let me introduce The Fallen, by Mark Terry, scheduled for publication on April 5, 2010. This book is a "blisteringly-paced and unrelenting" action thriller whose protagonist is "tougher than Jason Bourne" and "24's Jack Bauer". It promises to be a good read just as the following science fiction short story collection does.

The Lucky Strike by Kim Stanley Robinson: Here is what The New York Times has said, "If I had to choose one writer whose work will set the standard for science fiction in the future, it would be Kim Stanley Robinson". Need I add anything? Later, in my own review.

All the above, except Amy King's poetry collection, will be reviewed for the Sacramento or San Francisco Book Review, a fast-growing book reviewing publication. The King review will go in Poetry Now. I have to read these books within a set time, and I thought the Winter break would be perfect, before I go back to work on January 20. Am I a fast reader? I better be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla