Feature: Lawrence Dinkins (NSAA), Sacramento Poet

NSAA

Today we feature a spoken word whose works I find moving. I have attended many of his performances, and we have shared the stage on several occassions. He is also a regular in the Sacramento Poetry scene, particularly at the Sacramento Poetry Center, Luna's Cafe, and the Mahogany poetry series, where he is a host. Please meet the poet known as NSAA.

1.Thank you for agreeing to do this interview. First, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

My stage name is NSAA pronounced (en-sah-ah). It’s an African adinkra symbol that basically means quality, as I understand it. It’s like saying "The real McCoy". What I like about the word/symbol is that it is based on the quality of cloth, for example; this cloth is hand made nsaa.

I’m a bit of an odd duck I’m afraid to say, my stage name is a case in point, how odd I will keep on the low-low, very political too. I love NPR, BBC and Democracy Now. My pet peeve right now, driving me insane, is what’s up with congress not fighting for universal healthcare. In the past the Democrats said the reason why they couldn’t do it was because the Republicans had the majority, boo-hoo, but now that the Democrats are in the majority they still don’t fight for it, why? I fear what will happen if they pass the bill that is currently in the house right now. I see a terrible shift in American society, a shift of putting more and more burden and responsibility on individuals and less on corporations. There is only so much an individual can do before they hit information overload, in the house bill we will all be required to buy health insurance or it will be a federal offense, does every answer to every problem require putting more on citizens whose plate is already full? If America was a club I would turn in my membership and ask for my money back because this club has no perks, opportunities yes, if you have money, but perks? No. Unfortunately, this is not a club this is my home; I digress, sorry about that. But this is a great example of what I write about.

I consider myself a free verse conscious poet. In my opinion poetry is the soul of the people and is as important as architects, politicians, and religious leaders. Poets throughout history pushed society and civil-thought forward, questioned the status quo and allowed us to look at issues from the human-condition perspective. It is the responsibility of the poet not to stand silent in times of crisis; we are the “sacred order of voice”, kind of like verbal super heroes, without the capes of course.

2.I have hosted an event at the SPC in which you were one of the features. You also have frequently participated in open mic sessions during most of my readings. How does participation in poetry readings help you in your art?

Open mic is one of the unique things about the poetry scene, very democratic. The open mic for me is more about catharsis rather than being about perfecting craft, cheaper than a shrink I tell you. It allows me to share artistically how I feel about issues, life and complex emotions like ambiguity. But, I must say this, poetry readings do give me incentive to write just like gallery showings incentivize art creation for a painter.

NSAA at the SPC

3.You host performances at the Ethiopian Restaurant on Broadway. Tell us a lot about that.

Mahogany is a local institution. Mahogany Urban Poetry Series is held at Queen Sheba Restaurant on 17 and Broadway and it goes down every Wednesday at 9 pm all thanks to Khiry Malik, local poet. It’s a mature free speech after-hour HBO style poetry venue. I host Mahogany every 3rd Wednesday. Khiry, one of my favorite poets, has been the curator of Mahogany for years now; he allows me to torture his audience once a month.

Every 3rd Wednesday DJ Supe puts down the music, dim lights sets the mood, the audience sip honey wine while listening to great poetry,and every time I host I think this is a great scene. Instead of going out dancing or to the movies people come to Mahogany to think and empathize. It is my pleasure and honor to be one of the hosts of one of the oldest poetry venues in Sacramento. I feel if there were more places like Mahogany we would have a better, well-informed Sacramento.

4.You are also a graphic artist. Would you like to say something about that?

Yep, I am a starving artist and business owner. I design business cards, chap books, cd covers and tray cards, simple websites, flyers and logos. Give me a “holla” at MyTbx if you need some work done.

5.Who are your favorite poets?

Oh that’s easy. Hands down, it’s “Straight Out Scribes”, a local mother-daughter poetry team. These poets are activists, smart and purposeful, known for their tireless campaign to free American political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal. You can’t help but dig these two sistahs, watching them is what made me feel like I could share my words. I always wrote, but until I saw them I didn’t know you could write and share such politically-charged poetry. They are no longer together though. Staajabu (the mother), went back east to be with family. Every once in a while Staajabu comes back and they do a local tour. Best believe I’m in the front seat, ears wide open. Also, I hear there might be a new CD in the works. Keep that under your hat, and keep your fingers crossed.

6.How has the internet helped your art?

It make research easier, that’s for sure. I think I owe the library money, yikes. Also the internet has made it easier to share work and advertise poetry events. I have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/mywordout, just started blog last month: http://thedeskofnsaa.blogspot.com, and an event page: http://mywordout.com. Sometimes you have to stop setting up pages because you can waste your whole morning checking emails, friend request and hits. And facebook is digital crack. I get on there and hours go by without me noticing.

7.What is the place of politics in your poetry?

Central. Politics is very important in my work, politics can make our lives easier or harder, fairer or punitive, if we are not involved, not sounding a hue and cry we will lose slowly our free speech and everything we’ve fought so hard to obtain. We must protect what we have won and push forward to higher ground.

8.Last Friday [November 13] we shared the stage at the Sacramento Guild Theatre. How did you like that event?

It was great. Most of my favorite local poets were there and some new poets I’ve never heard before. I think I found some new favorites too. The poetry festival is an outstanding idea, two thumbs up for Terry Moore and Bob Stanley for pulling it off. I hope it it’s an annual event.

9. What are your plans for the future?

Right now I’m preparing my new chap book, “PoeticBlastastic”, for release by the end of this year.

10. This blog is read by poets in places ranging from Zimbabwe to Afghanistan. What words of encouragement would you give to aspiring poets, especially the spoken word ones?

Don’t stop pushing the status quo. Challenge yourself not only to write about pretty things, or about relationships and love, but see your role in society. You are the soul; better yet, the conscience of your community. We must use our gifts to make this world a better one: more tolerance, greener, merciful, peaceful and artful. Long live free speech. Poet or die.

Comments

Anonymous said…
great read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla