The Black Night: Coming to Sacramento in September



The question of whether people of African descent can get along causes much debate whenever it arises. One of my composition classes at CRC has an African American emphasis, and often, over 90% of the students identify themselves as African American. My icebreaker for the class is a five-minute written exercise in which the students answer the question: "Are you African? Why or why not?" The answers are quite revealing, and get us to clear the ground as we get ready to trace the African American experience since 1619. One of the most popular answers I get is "I have African ancestors but I am American", and the next is, "I am just black, Africa-American is just a name." In a few cases, some respondents give the answer, "Not applicable." But what I like about all the responses is that they are a true reflection of a quest, or lack thereof, for a clear identity, and by the time we finish the discussion, the students often realize that their search for a better understanding of their identity has begun.

The most touching response I have received to date is, "Why should there be such a question in the first place?", as in, why do we live in a world where we can't just be who we are, without the need to be named African-this or Asian-that? Usually, I admit to them that I ask this question because I want to see how many fellow Africans I have in the room [and that draws some laughter], and then I ask them if they think I am African, and even those who hate labels will point out my Africanness, and sometimes I ask them why they think I am African, and amidst friendly laughter, sentences like, "You look African. You sound African. It's obvious" pour out. Once in a while I point at a young man or woman and say something like, "You look Zambian. And you, you look Ghanaian", and in some instances such comments are taken as compliments.

Then sometimes I stand there listening to the glorification of Africa by the few students who declare their Africanness based on Africa being a land of strength, pride, roots, queens and kings, and beauty. Sometimes I am tempted to point out that Africa is just as "messed-up" as any other place on earth, but I realize that any little measure of African possitivity is worth savoring and preserving, temporarily. My goal is for the students to learn what the course offers and declare an identity they want by the end of the two-semester journey I will take with them.

At the end of this simple activity, students are aware that despite who they think they are, the issue of identity and belonging, or not belonging (because some students point out they belong to the "culture of none")is worth exploring, even just for purposes of debate and critical thinking. And indeed, the first essay we read, "From African to African-American" by Geneva Smitherman, is a good introduction to inquiry about the identity of African Americans.

As I said in the first sentence, this question of identity is not an easy one and it often leads to undending debates. This explains why a number of black scholars and community members in Sacramento formed a group called Bridging the Gap to discuss and act on issues that affect people of African descent. The Black Night event is an effort by several Sacramento groups to encourage this dialogue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla