Harare North, a Book You Should Read

This is not a review, but a sigh, now that I have finished reading the book. When I entered the world of the novel, seconds after I opened the padded envelop it came in, I was thinking about Brian Chikwava's "Seventh Street Alchemy", the Caine Prize-winning story which reads like a hurricane. I was ready for those words that dissolve on your tongue like some kind of candy, but you can imagine how I reacted when I read the following:

"Never mind that he manage to keep me well fed for some time, but like many immigrant on whose face fate had drive on large peg and hang tall stories, Shingi had not only become poor bread-winner but he had now turn into big headache for me."

Then I knew I had to buckle up because the ride would be bumby, and it has been, all the way to the end. I have a few things to say about this new addition to African literature in a review I am writing. But for now, read the novel's first sentence:

"No one bother to give me proper tips before I come to England" (4).

Harare North is going to be released by Random House (Jonathan Cape) in the Uk on April 2, the same day that Chimamanda Adichie's The Thing Around Your Neck comes out, and seven days before the release of Petina Gappah's An Elegy for Easterly.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Sounds intriguing! I must look for this book now that it is out.

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla