Writers in Bindura: Click to enlarge images

This is downtown Bindura. I remember a few weeks before I left Zimbabwe in 1996, I spent a lot of time in Bindura. I bought US dollars at a Standard Chartered Bank here(yes, back then the Zim dollar could buy US dollars at an exchange rate of Z$9 is to $1). I was in Bindura because....well, I think I was visiting some friends. No, I was in Bindura for a writers's workshop at Chipindura High School, where one of my friends was a teacher of English Literature. The workshop was sponsored by BWAZ and was designed to benefit the students and the Bindura BWAZ members. Below is a photo of the the workshop: . The workshop facilitator in the middle is Memory Chirere! Below is a photo of Chipindura High School, where we held the workshop in April 1996: . Yet another Chipindura photo: . Below are some of the workshop participants, who had travelled from Harare (after one of them had spent several days travelling from Chimanimani): From left to right: Maxwell Mabhiza, Dudziro Nhengu, Emmanuel Sigauke. Oh, what would a trip to Bindura be without a stop at the busy market south-east of the town center? See below: If I remember well, this is the place where Ignatius Mabasa's novel, Mapenzi, begins. This musika is the Mbare of Bindura. See: . Well, here is one more photo of the workshop. I missed a lot at that workshop since I was busy taking the photos. I remember one of the facilitators commenting during the break time that he had found the huge camera with its intense flash distracting, but I had to do what I had to do: From left to right: Memory Chirere, Maxwell Mabhiza, Dudziro Nhengu, Alson Mfiri, and an editor for the Literature Bureau. Okay, I love Bindura. Here is a random photo: A hill. The roofs you see are of the then very new Bindura University of Science and Technology, which was not very far from Chipindura High.

Comments

I always like the photographs that you display. Great story material !! My favorite cousin lives in Madziva - so the photo's bring back good memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)