Introducing Sarudzayi Barnes, Author/publisher

Zimbabwean literature keeps growing. The strong writers still in the country and those in the diaspora, most of whom are emerging, are putting the literature of Zimbabwe on the global map. I just discovered that a writer I worked with in Zimbabwe in the mid-nineties has been busy over the years, writing two novels, publishing a Shona Folklore book, launching her own publishing company in the UK, translating Shona novels into English, and helping distribute books published in Zimbabwe by Mambo Press and Longman to readers in the UK, Jamaica, and Ireland. Her name is Sarudzayi Chifamba-Barnes, author of Endless Trail. Chifamba told me the publishing company, Lion Press Ltd, is doing well so far and has many projects lined up for the end of 2008 and beyond. Its first publication is African Story-teller.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sarudzai Barnes and I are cyber friends after I responded to one of her columns on the thezimbabwetimes.com site. The wonders of the internet are many; she sent me a copy of one of her books, a wonderfully written collection of village stories. She kindly offered to publish one of my books. In addition to her incredible writing skills, Sarudzayi is a very cordial person and there is no bone of aloofness in her body. This will serve her publishing business well. I encourage any aspiring writer to get in touch with her, it sure worked for this village school boy.
Thank you, Jonathan for this great commendation. I think she is doing a great job and that Zimbabwean literature needs publishers like Lion Press.
You can read my comments on Sarudzayi Chifamba Barnes's Novel The Endless Trail at
http://sarudzaireview.blogspot.com
Thank you, Saru. I will read the review.

Popular posts from this blog

Abuja Writers' Forum Call for Submissions

Roland Mhasvi's Flowers

FREEDOM, a poem on South Africa by Afzal Moolla