Once in a while, I check the search engines terms that are driving the most traffic to my blog, Wealth of Ideas, and the searches are often revealing of what kinds of information people are looking for at any time. Today, of the several interesting ones, "the importance of African languages in African literature" stood out. It's a topic I too am passionate about. I have written about it before in a post entitled " Language in African Literature ", but even this doesn't begin to cover the most important facts about the issue. Perhaps one day I will write treatise on the topic of language in African literature, and mini posts like this are my way of mapping a project description. But now let's go to some serious stuff on African languages in African Literature. Let me start by saying that I am annoyed by glossaries. Their intent seems to be to appeal to a foreign audience, or, most importantly, to any speakers for whom the glossaried language is for...
Pub Date: June 2012 ISBN: 978-1-84780-006-0 $8.99 US/9.99 CAN 352 Pages Trade Paper 5” x 7 ¾” Awarded the International Youth Library’s prestigious White Raven label Award for innovative literary style and artful portrayal of universal themes. This compelling and dramatic novel brings the turbulent history of Zimbabwe to vivid life, encouraging readers to reflect on the true costs of war. 14-year-olds Tariro and Katie are decades, worlds, and generations apart, but their seemingly distant lives are linked by a terrible secret, gradually revealed as they grapple with the complexities of adolescence, family, and a painful colonial legacy. Tariro loves her ancestral home, the baobab tree she was born beneath, her loving family — and brave, handsome Nhamo. She couldn't be happier. But then the white settlers arrive, and everything changes — suddenly, violently, and tragically. Nearly forty years later, Katie loves her doting father, ...
They came to support, they some bought books, and they engaged us in dialogue. Part of the audience at Eso Won Bookstore Reading and "African Roar" Launch, Los Angeles. Copies of African Roar in a special display for the event. This is going to be a long post, full of pictures and reflections. I will be publishing each update as I go, but this may take days to complete. The reading at Eso Won Books in Los Angeles was a success. Bill Roper and Joseph Mitchell rendered a moving performance, which fit in well with our readings, as if we had researsed. I liked the connection, which led to a performance that kept the audience spellpound, but of course, I can't speak for the attendees; only they know how the experience was to them. What I liked though was how everyone hung around after the event, asking questions, engaging us in dialogue and asking us to sign books. Bill Roper playing the horn (vuvuzela) at the beginning of the event. What a fascinating instrument; I rememb...
Comments