Dangarembga's fictional thesis statement in Nervous Conditions

Now that the Fall semester is about to begin, I am rereading Nervous Conditions in preparation for my Literature and Compostion class. I can't help but notice that the author gives us a clear map, which carries the purpose of the novel, in the first paragraph. See the following sentence:

"... My story is not after all about death, but about my escape and Lucia's; about my mother's and Maiguru's entrapment, and about Nyasha's rebellion...." (1).

Dangarembga makes the focus of the novel on women immediately noticeable, but what strikes me as I read the novel is the smell of familiarity. I picture the novel happening somewhere in Chimanimani, but I can't quite see the picture of the terrain (still reading), which makes me set the story in Mutambara, the land of the Sigauke people. I don't know where in the Eastern Higlands Dangarembga hails from, and that does not matter; what I like is my placement of the novel in a familiar location so as to position the story in some familiar experience. Elsewhere I have mentioned the coincedental similarity of my last name Sigauke and that of the novel's family; well, it gets more interesting:I have a niece named Lucia. Again, this is not very important in helping me discuss the novel, but such details help position the story in that familiar terrain of experience that I have begun (here) to problematize.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of African Languages in African Literature

US Release Date for Nai'ma Robert's 'Far From Home'

Ronasi Fiction Prize for Mototi Ward Primary Schools (Zimbabwe)